Re: [piecepack] About "Heir" and my own games.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Electronicwaffle
  To: piecepack@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Friday, September 12, 2003 10:38 PM
  Subject: [piecepack] About "Heir" and my own games.

  >Please let me know of other games with holes in the board,

  My game Telic (an abstract game, in the sense that it is themeless, although it does have a kuck element), that I submitted to the 2nd piecepack game design competition, has a hole in the middle of the board.

  BTW, two other games that I submitted to that competition (Pawns Crossing, co-authored with my brother Steve, and Alien City, which won the competition), were also abstract. Pawns crossing, while including a luck factor is themeless, and Alien City comes very close to satisfying the formal definition for an abstract strategy game.
  The 3rd competition produced a very interesting pure abstract called Decay, which received an honorable mention. I would say that abstract games (as opposed to heavily themed, German-style games) are alive and well in the piecepack competitions. Tthe most recent competition, History Repeats Itself, pretty much mandated that games be themed, so that's an exception regarding pure abstracts, but abstracts and games which were not heavily themed have done well in general, especially considering that fewer abstracts than themed-games-with-luck have been submitted to each competition. As for the up-coming competition, well, I don't know of too many heavily themed, German solitaire board games.

  -Mike Schoessow