Re: Piecepack Design FAQ Draft [WAS: 5th piecepack competition + more questions]

--- In piecepack@yahoogroups.com, "James K Droscha" <jdroscha@a...>
wrote:
> PIECEPACK DESIGN FAQ 0.1b
> by James Kyle (jdroscha@a...)
>
> FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT THE DESIGN OF THE PIECEPACK
>
> Q: Who created the piecepack and when?
> A: James Kyle designed the original piecepack guidelines and
released them into
> public domain in October of 2000.
>
> Q: What were the design goals while creating the piecepack?
> A: 1) Flexibility (including genericy, adaptability, and variety)
>     2) Availability (including affordability and portability)
>     3) Completeness (including autonomy)
>
> Q: How does the designer of the piecepack make money from it?
> A: I don't.
>
> 	To learn more about the piecepack, please visit
> http://www.piecepack.org
>
> 	We also welcome you to join us for discussion of all things
piecepack at
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/piecepack

Thanks, all you lot. I first found out about the pp community when
the news on the 'Geek mentioned the 5th Contest. As a wannabe games
designer, I feel that the contests are the perfect way to learn the
trade, and (if I win) get a little bit of recognition, or at the very
least, get published! I'd considered your suit die (null, ace, all 4
suits) myself, but paper stuck onto dice doesn't roll very well. I
converted my dice from ordinary d6, with the spots painted. 2-5 are
painted in the relevant colour (red, green, blue, black), the 1 is
painted white to make it disappear for a null, and the 6 painted like
this for an ace:

!0 @ 0!
!     !
!@ 0 @!

The next major challenge will probably be the coins, so I'm open to
suggestions. The pawns I can swipe from an old chess set, and the
tiles I dunno yet.

Thanks again

Lardarse Greg