Re: [piecepack] Re: Piecepack Design FAQ Draft [WAS: 5th piecepack competition + more questions]

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: vg_reality_anchor
  To: piecepack@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Friday, September 19, 2003 3:50 AM
  Subject: [piecepack] Re: Piecepack Design FAQ Draft [WAS: 5th piecepack competition + more questions]

  >Thanks, all you lot. I first found out about the pp community when
  >the news on the 'Geek mentioned the 5th Contest. As a wannabe games
  >designer, I feel that the contests are the perfect way to learn the
  >trade, and (if I win) get a little bit of recognition, or at the very
  >least, get published! I'd considered your suit die (null, ace, all 4
  >suits) myself, but paper stuck onto dice doesn't roll very well. I
  >converted my dice from ordinary d6, with the spots painted. 2-5 are
  >painted in the relevant colour (red, green, blue, black), the 1 is
  >painted white to make it disappear for a null, and the 6 painted like
  >this for an ace:

  >/-----\
  >!0 @ 0!
  >!     !
  >!@ 0 @!
  >\-----/

  >The next major challenge will probably be the coins, so I'm open to
  >suggestions. The pawns I can swipe from an old chess set, and the
  >tiles I dunno yet.

  >Thanks again

  >Lardarse Greg
  Hi Lardarse. Welcome to the group! Another yahoo group you may be interested in is BoardGameDesign.

  Regarding coins, you may be able to buy small wooden coins at a crafts shop or a large crafts/sewing store. These places also sell bags of wooden cubes about the same size as piecepack dice. Some lumber yards also have this stuff. You can buy clear acrylic coins (and lots of other stuff good for game construction) at a place called Tap Plastics, which has a website. One of the other group members has used these in making his own piecepack by cementing paper disks onto each side of the acrylic disks. Lastly, you could cement paper disks to each side of pennies.

  -Mike Schoessow