Re: [piecepack] Color V. Suit

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Electronicwaffle
  To: piecepack@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 7:13 PM
  Subject: [piecepack] Color V. Suit

  >As I was working on my latest game today, the thought occured to me,
  >for Piecepack, isnt Suit and Color the same exact thing? I mean that
  >for simplicity, we should do with out one or the other (term wise
  >that is). Can any one find a reason for this not to be the case?

  There are a number of reasons for retaining color as well as suit.

  Firstly, some people have trouble distinguishing certain colors, so for them, the suit icons provide useful redundancy.

  Secondly, redundancy is useful in general for a number of reasons, one being that quicker recognition is secured without thinking.

  Thirdly, the suit icons have some use in theme aspects of a game. I refer to them in my game Alien City, and some other games use them as well.

  Fourthly, I personally find the suit icons to be more interesting than, for example, red, blue, green, and black colored spots or squares.

   If you mean that it's fine to have both suits and colors, but for simplicity we should always *refer* to them as suits or always *refer* to them as colors, that is a different point. Even in this case however, I can think of cases where I would use both terminologies in the body of a rule-set, depending on the what I was trying to convey.

  The piecepack would be less appealing, in my opinion, if either color or suit were to be discarded.

  -Mike Schoessow