Re: [piecepack] Color V. Suit

Electronicwaffle wrote:

As I was working on my latest game today, the thought occurred to me,
for Piecepack, isn't Suit and Color the same exact thing? I mean that
for simplicity, we should do with out one or the other (term wise
that is). Can any one find a reason for this not to be the case? Which one should prevail? I would think in the long run, Color would
be better over suit. I think the word "suit" has more meanings in
games than color does, and would therefore be a more confusing term.
I.E. "Arrange the board in such a way that suits you" At the present
moment, I can't think of another use of the word color in gaming.

In my games, I've used both.  It depends on which fit the theme if any
I've put on the game.  In Deduction and Taxicab I used suit names as it
seemed to fit better, but in Tabletop Croquet and Chariots using colors
was better. If the object that represents the player is a pawn and you need to talk about the die, tiles and coins that match it, I think that
talking about matching colors is slightly less confusing.  If you are
not using the suit-side of the tiles, probably using colors also makes
sense.

Now I always use suit-side vs number-side when talking about
the coins and grid-side vs suit-side when talking about the tiles, even when I'm using colors elsewhere in the game rules. Also you should take
into account that some piecepack sets have yellow crowns and some have
green.

--
mark@...
mark.a.biggar@...