About software.... Yes, a Little OT

Hi Folks,

I am in charge of designing a little boardgame, err, let me explain
better, I am in charge of making boards for classic board games (Chess,
Checkers, Go and Tafl) so that a company can present their employees
with freebies. The boards will be printed on heavy gramature paper
(card paper) with board on one side, instructions on the other. Simple
isn't it?

Well, Now the tricky part is getting the board done! We all agree
thoose board are simple, just a bunch of colored squares. I am no
designer, I am a computer programmer and film editor, but designer I am
not. I tried using Illustrator, but it apeared overkill, got Corel here
too, but never used it. Is there any specialized software for making
simple board games? I am using a Macintosh by the way, or should I go
with Illustrator or Corel... Does anyone here got a template I can
modify?

PS: I tried to convince they to give piecepack kits with instruction
booklets, but they said they'll be using one half sheet of paper for
each employee only, so Piecepack Kits are impossible... so is the
instruction booklets... sad...

Cheers
Andre Garzia  2003
imac2 ibook p100 e uma torradeira....