Re: [piecepack] Anonymity in the 5th design contest (was re: Let's nip this problem in the bud.)

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Rob LeGood
  To: piecepack@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, September 29, 2003 7:34 PM
  Subject: Re: [piecepack] Anonymity in the 5th design contest (was re: Let's nip this problem in the bud.)

  >To be the voice of a coutnerpoint.  I'd be very careful on adopting this
  >stance.  Great pains have been made in the past to protect the identity of
  >the submissions so that there can be no complaint of bias, and I don't think
  >it would be a line that I'd be comfortable crossing.  Personally, I enjoyed
  >that I didn't know who did what.  It let me be completely honest on how I
  >felt about the games I judged.

  After thinking about this for a week, I have to say that I agree with Rob. The anonymous author system has worked well and I would like to see it continued, partially so that the precedent isn't broken. I agree that it makes the task of judging potentially easier, and it probably lends additional authority to the contest outcome for some people. Having said that, I also still agree that the contest rules are up to the person running the current contest, as opposed to historical precedent or majority rule. Lastly, my intention is not to imply anything negative about James or Phillipe. I have great respect for both of them.

  -Mike Schoessow