Re: on D4s

 The ability to roll to select
> suits or otherwise choose colors seems to me to be
> already included in the spec, or at least easily
> supported by a ruleset without need for additional
> equipment.

That is true, a simple blind selection of a coin or tile could
select a suit. However, when all tiles and coins are already in use
by a game, (As the one I was playtesting in the previous d4 post)
you do not have them to select from. Also, while I agree a D4 is not
as common as a D6 rolling a D4 is a faster way of selecting a suit,
even faster when each point is colored to suit.

D4's are not as standard as a D6  but I think those who embrace the
piecepack more often than not will already be familiar with them.
Those who have explored the piecepack will not be turned away by a
non-'standard' die. Even more standard games have different dice...
I was surprised to find out that Outburst had a D8 in it. Then
again, Scatagories has a D24 (?) in it.

I mention this because I am split as to if using any D-N (where N
does not equal 6)  would scare or prevent new players to the
piecepack. Minor setback I know, but for some people this might be a
real concern.  Most people would assume "This isn't a standard die,
it must be more difficult to use/implement"