Re: [piecepack] Re: on D4s

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: James K Droscha
  To: piecepack@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 8:16 AM
  Subject: [piecepack] Re: on D4s

  --- In piecepack@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Schoessow"
  <mikeschoessow@c...> wrote:

  >>   Another possibility that just occured to me is,
  >> Red/Green/Blue/Black/blank/any. It would probably be best to
  >> indicate the "any" face symbolically (rather than printing "any" on
  >> the face) so that designers could utilize it for varied purposes.

  >As mentioned in the recently posted Piecepack Design FAQ, such a die
  >was considered for the piecepack design (...special die [with null,
  >wild, suns, moons, crowns, and arms sides]...) and I have one of
  >these in a bin somewhere from an early prototype.  On the die I made,
  >I marked the suit (in appropriate color) on four sides, then for the
  >wild I just sort of divided a circle into quarters and colored them.
  >I think Ed's suggestion of replacing that color pie with the ace
  >symbol is a good one.

  >As an aside, when I want to randomly select a suit, I just roll all
  >four dice and the die showing the highest result becomes the chosen
  >suit.  This has added interest in that ties are possible if the
  >designer wishes to allow and account for them, or else (intuitively)
  >ties can just be rolled off.

  Hi James. I agree that Ed's suggestion is probably the cleanest way to go. Regarding using all four dice together, yes this works but it's not elegant in games where each player keeps their own die, or in which the dice are being used for some other purpose, such as score keeping or acting as game pieces on the board.

  And just to be clear, I do agree that the piecepack design, as is, makes the most sense, all things considered. As I've pointed out before, I'm not advocating that there be a new or different edition of piecepack. Rather, I'm just thinking about personal additions people can make to their own piecepacks to, for example, facilitate broader coverage of existing games when away from home.

  -Mike Schoessow