Re: Rules on my PalmOS handheld

--- In piecepack@yahoogroups.com, "Iain Cheyne" <news@c...> wrote:
> --- In piecepack@yahoogroups.com, "Electronicwaffle"
> <electronicwaffle@y...> wrote:
> > Can each author post the rules in Word format?
>
> I am not keen on PDF either. It's great for printing, but bad for
> reading, because you need the horrible Acrobat Reader. I'd much
> prefer HTML or Word files. PDF is non-proprietory, but open-source
> software like Open Office deals with Word files very nicely. How
> about at least giving people the choice?
>
> Incidentally, some of the PDF conversions at Piecepack are pretty
> bad. Hanging Gardens for instance, is 327KB, but it's base format
is
> rtf with no images.

Iain

I'm not sure I fully support your sentiments regarding PDF - for a
start, you do not have to use the Acrobat Reader (I think you are the
first person I have to call it "horrible"?  Well, it is free...) for
displaying PDFs.

I am also not sure that Open Office is *that* good - I have tried it
and it mangled some files quite badly - I would prefer *not* to
support M$ at all (and would choose Adobe, if I had to take
commercial sides).

HTML suffers from the disadvantage of often being device-specific,
especially when laden with editor-generated codes.

Overall, I would ask people to consider my proposal for the XML
option; this, at least, does not lock anyone into any choice of a
display format in advance.

Derek