Re: Rules on my PalmOS handheld

--- In piecepack@yahoogroups.com, Porter235 <porter235@y...> wrote:

> >If there are easy to use free editors, this might be possible. A
> >conversion program, rather like Acrobat's PDFWriter, would be even
> >better.
> Have I got the solution...
>
> openoffice.org
>
>     * free (open source, multi-platform, no cost)
>     * can open MSWord Documents fairly well
>     * has free write to PDF ability
>     * default save to format is a zipped XML file with all images
in the
>       zip (meaning you can create an XSL to convert this document to
>       ANYTHING YOU WANT!)
>     * can save to many other formats from within the interface
>     * did i mention it is FREE!

Well, its a very large download for a start (and perhaps not everone
has that luxury) - I have tried the package and it seemed to garble a
number of MSword documents I used.

The main issue here, though, is that writing in a word processor does
not guarantee the production of a well-structured document, and it
certainly won't create the kind of uniformity that will allow the
ready use of stylesheets to create a consistent look-and-feel for all
the rule sets.

OTOH, if we agree to work in DocBook, and make use of appropiate
metadata, then perhaps OpenOffice can be used as a tool to edit the
rules (I am not sure about OO support for this format or its
derivatives).

Derek