Re: [piecepack] many questions

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: pete33incinci
  To: piecepack@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Saturday, December 06, 2003 12:16 PM
  Subject: [piecepack] many questions

  >Hi, all.  I'm relatively new here and thought I'd introduce myself
  >before asking a zillion questions.

  >My name's Pete, and I like to play games, especially those involving
  >wooden bits.

  Hi Pete. Welcome!

  >I liked the piecepack concept a lot, and when I found
  >that Mesomorph was selling wooden piecepacks, I decided to buy one.

  >So now I'm looking for games to play with the piecepack.  I've
  >checked out piecepack.org's game list, but it seems a bit sketchy --
  >no ratings (I'm told they were deleted because of user infighting),
  No, I wouldn't say that. It's true that no concensus has been reached, but neither has anyone been strongly campaining for a particular format.

  >and it seems rather cumbersome to read all 70+ games.

  Yah, it should be around 120 after the current competition closes, especially if you count the rule-sets in progress that are posted to that file.

  >So my first
  >question is:  Which piecepack games, if any, have you enjoyed playing
  >repeatedly? Replay value is something I look for in a game.

  Tell us what kind of games you primarily enjoy, and I'll be happy to list what I think are the best examples, plus my favorites.  So far I feel there are good piecepack games of: abstract strategy, family strategy including German-style civilization building and city-building, racing, shorter filler-type games, and solitaires.

  >Second, I've been looking around for cooperative/collaborative games -
  >- games in which the players try to help each other reach a goal
  >together.  Are there any cooperative games for the piecepack?

  Not yet.

  >Next, I'm thinking about trying my hand at designing a game, but I
  >don't really know where to start.  What resources can you recommend
  >for someone who wants to design a game?

  There's no simple answer to this one. A very good way to start is to go to the Yahoo group, BoardGameDesign, and look at the articles in their files section. Some of them specifically talk about how to design games, pitfalls to avoid, etc. Another good site is the Board Game Designer's Forum.

  >How can I tell whether a game I come up with is using too many of
  >someone else's ideas?

  I wouldn't worry too much about this. Parallel design is actually quite common in the game world. Chances are however, that two very similar designs will still differ in some interesting little way. Having said that, the quickest way to find out if an idea of yours is already being used in an identical way in another game, is to describe the idea on BoardGameDesign or on spielfrieks (or post it hear if your query refers only to piecepack games). You're virtually certain to get some feedback on what other games are closest to your idea. Of course, this method requires you to reveal your idea (but you also simultaneously effectively publically date-stamp it).

  -Mike