Re: [piecepack] many questions

On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 12:43:58PM -0800, Mark A. Biggar wrote:
> pete33incinci wrote:
> > Hi, all.  I'm relatively new here and thought I'd introduce myself
> > before asking a zillion questions.

Welcome to the community, Pete.  I agree with everything Mark said,
and would like to make a couple of additions.

> > Next, I'm thinking about trying my hand at designing a game, but I
> > don't really know where to start.  What resources can you recommend
> > for someone who wants to design a game?
>
> <snip>
> There is also the Game Design Forum Yahoo mailing list.

And the Game Design Wiki:
http://www.ludism.org/gamedesign/

> > How can I tell whether a game I come up with is using too many of
> > someone else's ideas? The taxonomy page might be a start (in that it
> > will help me determine whether I'm picking something that has the
> > same mechanics as an existing game), but I can't tell if it includes
> > all of the piecepack games.
>
> I wouldn't worry about that too much, several of the current games are
> either adaptations or are similar to other non-piecepack games.

The only way to make sure your game concept is original is to play a
lot of games, or at least read the rules, both of piecepack and
non-piecepack games.  But there's still no realistic way to be sure,
(BoardgameGeek lists over 8000 games at the moment), so I agree with
Mark: don't worry about it; just do your best.

> > How does the wiki work? Does everyone
> > who wants to just make additions to it whenever they feel like it?
>
> Yep.  Be sure to register first so everyone knows who is making what
> changes and besides if you make a change we don't like we'll just
> change it back.  About the only informal rule on the wiki is that a
> designers personal page is his alone to change, except for comments
> appended to the end.

Also, if someone has "signed" a piece of text, like this:

Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah.
--Ron Hale-Evans

then don't change that text.  Also, if you are a game vendor, it is
bad form to alter a review of your product, even if it is unsigned.  I
guess the same goes for designers.  But you won't have to worry about
that for a while.

Mark is really active on the wiki and in the piecepack community,
so take his comments seriously.

Ron H-E

--
    Ron Hale-Evans ... rwhe@... ... http://ron.ludism.org/
	 Center for Ludic Synergy, Seattle Cosmic Game Night,