A post about games! (Chariots)

I had a good time playing Chariots last night. I wrote about it in my
blog: http://cheyne.net/blog/index.cgi/board_games/chariots.html.

Here is what I wrote:

While sitting around recovering from jet-lag last night, I persuaded
my brother and brother-in-law to play Chariots, a piecepack game. It
was the simplest of the piecepack recommended games that I want to
try on this trip, so it fitted our mood.

Chariots has some interesting mechanisms. It uses simultaneous action
selection, borrows the impulse movement system of Car Wars and adds
some clever cornering rules. Mark Biggar has compressed the game
elegantly into the confines of the piecepack.

We played a three lap race, which was plenty. I won by about six
squares, due to some lucky rolls and managing to stay out of the dog
fight the others got involved in. We enjoyed the game. I gave it a 5,
which is perfectly acceptable by my ratings. My brother-in-law gave
it a 6 and my brother a 7.

I do have some quibbles with Chariots, but these are easily fixed.

I think it will only really play well with four players. It was just
about OK with three, but it would be terrible with two. This is
because the fun lies in trying to squeeze the other competitors out
of the inside track and trying to force them to crash. It might be
worth taking the central column of tiles out of the straight the next
time we play with three, in order to compress the interest of
jockeying around the corners.

The impulse movement system worked well, but could be a bit slow. For
speed, it might be better if the rules explicitly stated that if
someone is more than about two spaces from any other players that
they can take a phase's movement in one go, without worrying
about
separate impulses.

I only had one rules question. The rules don't specify who
decides
which space a chariot goes into if they are pushed aside by an ace
coin. We assumed it was the player who is doing the pushing, but it
could be the pushed player. It might be more fun if this was somehow
randomised with a dice roll.

It struck me while playing this how attractive my Mesomorph piecepack
is. The wood feels and looks beautiful and the deep colours of the
pawns are very striking. I have never played a piecepack game that
used dice before and it was fun to shout "null point" everytime
someone screwed up a cornering roll with a null - only Europeans will
understand that reference.

This was a successful start to our holiday gaming. It's a good
omen.

--
Iain