Session Report - Easy Slider, One Man Thrag!, The Penguin Game, and Tula

Thanks to everyone who pointed me in the direction of some
Solitaire games.  I will likely be getting to the others tomorrow.

It was suggested that one way that I could contribute before
offering up any games of my own was via session reports and
suggestions in general.  So here I am with my first session
report.

Easy Slider:

My first thought was "This is great!  Square Off for the
Piecepack!!!"  This was introduce to me in a 4 player game by the
designers a little while back and I loved it.  It didn't hurt that I grew
up with Square Off and thus beat the proverbial pants off
everyone.  I am definitely a fan of the "Slide!" variant as then it will
keep my speed from being as much of an advantage.  After
seeing it mentioned as a solitaire game I game it a shot and
have to say that in it's basic form it will not work as a solitaire
game in the sense that you will always win.  It does however
work well as a solitaire puzzle.  One further step would be to
write up the layout and try it over to see how few moves you can
use to solve it.

One Man: Thrag!:

I was impressed by this games use of, I think, every aspect of
the Piecepack.   The design is good and is the most fun of the
four I tried.  I won 2 out of 3 plays but all were pretty close with
either little resources left to use or only one monster left to slay.  I
was left with only one question/suggestion.  In the rules it seems
to be clear the you can only use the coins against monsters of
the same color but in the example the player was allowed to use
a red coin against a green beast.  Which is correct?  I used the
more restrictive version in the rules.  Perhaps a clarification
would be in order.

I suggest a version a little different from either that meets half
way.  If you defeat all monsters of a given color you may then use
those coins either to help attack monsters of other colors.   One
variation might be to allow you to use as many of these coins as
you like on any monster in addition to the one you get from it's
natural color.  Another variation that I thought of is that you could
have the option to add them to your health pool as needed.  Thus
if you were taking damage you could pull one of that color of coin
and put it directly into your black pool thus possibly extending
Thrag's life.

The Penguin Game:

Not much to say here as I only played it once.  I am a fan of
Quivive and think that the variants here are an improvement on
the original.  I won easily, ending on my starting color and can't
say as I am excited about it as a solitaire but I am looking
forward to try it with other players.  I'll likely have more to say
when that happens.  Until then, I can only say the design looks
good.

Tula:

I tried this 10 times and gave up.  I think that the layout is creative
and the that game design is a good idea but the playability
makes puts it low on my list of games I want to come back to.   It
seems to me that this is more in the patience catagory.  If I have
a lot of patience then eventually I will get lucky and the tiles will
be in a winable order.  I am open to seeing more skill in it's play
if someone can give me some suggestions but my games went
like this (I am not counting the first one off as that is a complete
freebie).

1. 11 tiles off (beginners luck)
2. No plays
3. No plays
4. No plays
5. 3 off
6. 1 off
7. 2 off
8. 1 off
9. 1 off
10. 2 off

I tried to think of ways to make it more playable such as
additional swaps or having the tiles face up.  But as I only got
into layer 2 twice out of 10 plays I gave up.  Again, I don't think the
concept is poor just it's playbility.  Even the toughest layouts of
Shang Hai give you more options.

Thank you to all the designers of these games.  I hope that my
questions and thoughts are well received.  I woke up this
morning with the rough idea for a game in my head and hope to
have something solid enough for an intial play in a few days.
Hope, Hope... It is intended to be a solitaire game that is
expandable to more players but may end up requiring an
opponent or teamate.   It will make more sense when I post it.

I hope to get to Dragon's Hoard, Pack Solitaire, Knight of the New
Moon and Black Pawn Trucking tomorrow.

Good night,

Kisa