Tula Stats [WAS Re: Session Report - Easy Slider, One Man Thrag!, The ...]

--- In piecepack@yahoogroups.com, "Kisa Griffin" <kisa_griffin@h...> wrote:

> One Man: Thrag!:
>
> I was impressed by this games use of, I think, every aspect of
> the Piecepack.   The design is good and is the most fun of the
> four I tried. [...]

Yes, I like One Man: Thrag as well; it is definitely one of the more gamey (as opposed
to puzzley or patiencey) solitaires for piecepack that I have played (though I confess I
have not played that many).

> Tula:
>
> [...] seems to me that this is more in the patience catagory

Agreed.

> 1. 11 tiles off (beginners luck)
> 2. No plays
> 3. No plays
> 4. No plays
> 5. 3 off
> 6. 1 off
> 7. 2 off
> 8. 1 off
> 9. 1 off
> 10. 2 off

Excellent!  Thank you so much for recording your scores; I have wondered about
Tula's win ratio and how many many tiles one typically removes.  Your report is much
appreciated.

Your results seemed very low to me, so I just ran some aditional trials.  I played
20 games of standard Tula in one hour.  I _did_ count the first tile (even though it's a
gimme) which you did not in the table above, so for a strict comparison, subtract 1
from my numbers below.  I always play with the Mercy variant, and I have indicated
whether or not I used it.

1. 21 off
2. 7 off
3. 21 off (mercied)
4. 21 off
5. 2 off
6. 21 off
7. WON
8. 2 off
9. no plays
10. 6 off

11. 2 off
12. 2 off (mercied)
13. 8 off
14. 23 off
15. WON
16. no plays
17. 2 off
18. 23 off (mercied)
19. 13 off (mercied)
20. 17 off

So, a few stats (using my own results only):
win ratio = 1/10 (which is what I had guessed based on previous plays)
no plays ratio = 1/10 (unless you don't use mercy, in which case 2/5)
early loss ratio (>13 tiles off, includes no plays) = 1/2
almost made it ratio (20+ tiles off) = 3/10
average tiles removed = 12 (unless you don't use mercy, in which case 9)
average game duration = 3 minutes

The average tiles removed in your results is 3 (after adding the gimme first tile back
in).  Now I am very curious.  Did you just get bad shuffles?  Has anyone else happened
to have tracked results?

Much Thanks,
James