Re: [piecepack] Re: Solitaire Win Rates

puzzle - invariably winnable every time; example = peg solitaire

As a matter of fact, peg solitaire is NOT invariably winnable. Winnability is determined by the initial location of the "open" hole, and there are actually several positions on the board that will make the setup unwinnable (one of them is the center hole).

Balancing winnability is actually one of the hardest things about designing a solitaire, in my experience. It takes a LOT of playtesting to assess it, for one thing, especially if it has a randomized initial setup, as a lot of solitaires do. I find that it's a lot harder to figure out what to tweak and how to tweak it in a solitaire than in a multi-player game, and that the tweaking is a lot more delicate. Maybe it's because a multi-player game only has to be a "channel" for interaction and thought between players, while a solitaire's collection of working mechanics and design elements kind of has to function as both a method of playing and an opponent, in a way.

Marty

Marty Hale-Evans    marty@...    Seattle, WA, USA

   "I seem to have injured myself doing the hambone."