Rules question on Piece Packing Pirates

Here's a rules question for Clark concerning Piece Packing Pirates. I'm posting it publicly in case anyone else wondered about this. In the section on calculating booty, the rules point out, "note, even if you win, the net booty could be negative". This seems to imply that after winning a sea battle, your booty could actually go down. Is this the case? If yes, what if you aren't carrying any booty? Do you then incur a negative total for your booty on board? This seems a little weird. Also, if this is the case, and then the game ends, multiplying your on-board booty with your buried booty would result in a negative number, so you could end the game OWING money!

OK, so I probably got a little carried away with my question, but I do want a clarification. Thanks.

On a similar subject Clark, have you considered the possibility of working up a multi-player version of the game (possibly utilizing two piecepacks for a bigger map) in which pirates may also attack each other, and perhaps in which booty burial locations (and the locations of other pirates if possible) are kept secret? It seems to me that Piece Packing Pirates and Matrix (which I posted about earlier), are the two games from the competition where this seems like it may work well. You might end up with a nice, full-size German-style board game :-)

It's really great seeing all these new games. It's almost like getting an order of new games in the mail! Thanks again to all the authors.

-Mike