Re: [piecepack] Mathrix

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 11:06:23PM -0800, M. Hale-Evans wrote:

> >One of the first games I have tried from the competition is Mathrix
> >(with an 'h'), by Clark Rodeffer, in which you try to clear the 4x6
> >board of coins (leaving only one coin) by forming mathematical
> >equations with their values.
>
> Ron, I think you misread the rules the same way I did.  When you form an
> equation, you only remove *one* of the coins contained in the equation, not
> all of them;

DOH!  And after you told me your mistake too!

Clark, in the interest of clarity, perhaps you could change the
sentence

  Once an equation has been formulated, remove any coin from the
  string that made up that equation (your choice).

  Once an equation has been formulated, remove ANY ONE COIN from the
  string that made up that equation (your choice).

Boldface, italics, or caps as above? Marty made this mistake too, snd
she's not an idiot like me.  Marty and I faced an issue like this in
one of the Epic Funhouse games; the rules for Catwalk said to lay out
the catwalk according to the color of the previous tile, but people
always did it according to the color of the tile they were holding.
It didn't affect the game much, so we just shrugged and "went with the
grain".  To do that in your game would change the whole thing, so I
recommend being very, very. very redundant and explicit instead.

I'll respond to your (Clark's) message on Mathrix later.

    Ron Hale-Evans ... rwhe@... ... http://ron.ludism.org/
	 Center for Ludic Synergy, Seattle Cosmic Game Night,
Kennexions Glass Bead Game & Positive Revolution FAQ: http://www.ludism.org/