Re: [piecepack] Making your own piecepack tiles from wood...

To follow up on Ron's note: I've been using Mod Podge since I was a
kid, and I think Ron's choice to print on cardstock for 'podging is a
mistake.  MP is a water-based medium, and it works best when it can
permeate the paper that's being applied to the wood, almost creating a
medium that suspends the paper fibers, ink, etc. and bonds it to the
wood.  Some of Ron's pieces are buckling as they dry and causing
bubbles to form between the wood and the cardstock.  I think this
happens because the cardstock is too thick to absorb the water in the
MP evenly; it buckles as it gets wet, then the MP dries before it can
flatten again.

If I were doing a set this way, I'd print the markings on paper, then
cut them out, MP them down (possibly using a breyer [roller] to make
sure the paper contacts solidly with the wood and to roll out
bubbles), then coat them with a couple of coats of sealer MP.  It's a
little trickier to use paper in some ways -- it's more likely to get
floppy and fold over on itself if you're not careful -- but in the end
I think it might make a better finished project.  (Of course, I'm more
likely to paint than decoupage, but that's just me.)

Marty
--
Marty Hale-Evans       marty@...       Seattle, WA USA

      Pro-America, but annoyed by quite a few Americans.