Re: [piecepack] Making your own piecepack tiles from wood...

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 11:27:59AM -0800, M. Hale-Evans wrote:

> To follow up on Ron's note: I've been using Mod Podge since I was a
> kid, and I think Ron's choice to print on cardstock for 'podging is a
> mistake.  MP is a water-based medium, and it works best when it can
> permeate the paper that's being applied to the wood, almost creating a
> medium that suspends the paper fibers, ink, etc. and bonds it to the
> wood.  Some of Ron's pieces are buckling as they dry and causing
> bubbles to form between the wood and the cardstock.  I think this
> happens because the cardstock is too thick to absorb the water in the
> MP evenly; it buckles as it gets wet, then the MP dries before it can
> flatten again.
>
> If I were doing a set this way, I'd print the markings on paper, then...

[snip]

I noticed a couple of them buckling too.  One was buckling along an
edge, and I was able to tamp it down again with a bit more Mod Podge,
but another has a bubble in the middle.  Fortunately, although I've
already cut out all eight suits of tiles, front and back, from
cardstock, I only made one test suit of tiles and coins.

I am going to print on paper, then try a paper test suit and compare
it to the cardstock one. Decoupage is slow going, but I just heard the
story of a woman on _This American Life_ (episode 30, 1996) who took
three years to cover every inch of her kitchen and the things in it
with tiny beads.

La la la. I simply remember some horrible things, and then I don't
feel so bad...

    Ron Hale-Evans ... rwhe@... ... http://ron.ludism.org/
	 Center for Ludic Synergy, Seattle Cosmic Game Night,
Kennexions Glass Bead Game & Positive Revolution FAQ: http://www.ludism.org/