Re: [piecepack] Re: Question for Clark Rodeffer

OK, now *I'm* confused....

> Scenario Two: You bring in your design for play testing, and the
> play testers say what they like and offer suggestions to improve
> upon or change the parts they don't like. You then take the design
> back and implement some or all of the changes suggested by the play
> testers.  Repeat. This is sort of a gray area between co-design and
> effective play testing. It isn't really what I had in mind for this
> contest, but would probably be permissible under the rules as long
> as you clearly document who contributed to what parts of the design.
>
> Scenario Three: You bring in your design for play testing, and the
> play testers say what they like and offer suggestions to improve
> upon or change the parts they don't like. You then let one or more
> of your play testers take your bits and rules and edit it into an
> improved game, then they bring it back for more
> playtesting. Repeat. This is clearly co-designing and co-authoring
> in action, and is one possibility for what I intended for this
> contest.

So the delineation is about who writes up and edits the rules?  That's
essentially the only difference I see between these two scenarios.  In
both cases, creative work has clearly been done by one or more of the
testers/collaborators.  Which of the people takes the rules home and
writes up the work that has been done at the play session seems
trivial to me.  Or do you mean it's a matter of who takes the ideas
and makes them into a concrete mechanism that can be added to the
ruleset?

I think this is important to define well, if it's going to be a
criterion for the current contest.  By some readings of this, I've
done very little collaboration on our games, although Ron (and I)
think my contributions have been essential.

Marty
--
Marty Hale-Evans       marty@...       Seattle, WA USA

      Pro-America, but annoyed by quite a few Americans.