Re: [OT] Quoting others

I would also like to add that I removed the item in question primarily
out of respect. I believe that the quoting of the material was
actually legal under "fair use".

"Fair use is a copyright principle based on the belief that the public
is entitled to freely use portions of copyrighted materials
forpurposes of commentary and criticism. For example, if you wish to
criticize a novelist, you should have the freedom to quote a portion
of the novelist's work without asking permission. "

http://fairuse.stanford.edu/Copyright_and_Fair_Use_Overview/chapter9/index.html

That said, the article goes on to say...

"Unfortunately, if the copyright owner disagrees with your fair use
interpretation, the dispute will have to be resolved by courts or
arbitration. If it's not a fair use, then you are infringing upon the
rights of the copyright owner and may be liable for damages."
http://fairuse.stanford.edu/Copyright_and_Fair_Use_Overview/chapter9/index.html

And as the copyright owner obviously disagreed with my fair use
interpretation, I did not want to "push" things.

But all of this legaleese is makin' me sick. I'm sorry for the
offence. Please forgive me. I shall never quote a private email on
this list again without explicit permission to do so.