Re: [piecepack] New to Piecepack, where to start?

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Rich Stokes
  To: piecepack@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 2:57 AM
  Subject: [piecepack] New to Piecepack, where to start?

  >What are some good games to start with when first starting out with
  >Piecepack?  .
  .
  .
  .
  .
  >So, where to start?  Is there a list of recomended games for adults
  >getting started?

  >Rich

  Hi Rich,

  The other suggestions to check out the wiki are spot on. The winners of the past cometitions are also all good bets. However, here are some suggestions of my own.

  Since you're already into Ice house, I can't resist suggesting my game, Alien city, which combines Ice house pyramids with piecepack, and which has received quite a few kind comments from within the the piecepack community and from other people on the web. If you like German-style sophisticated family strategy games, check out New City and Pharao's Heir. If you like heavy-duty abstract strategy games for 3-4 players, look at Decay (but be sure to read the player aids in the files section and specify a 1/8"tolerance). Pawns Crossing (another that I co-authored) is a bit less intense and is essentially an abstract with a bit of hidden information for 2-4 players. It utilizes a piecepack combined with a set of double-6 dominoes. If you're looking for shorter lighter fair, you may like San Andreas ( really great theme attachment) or Froggy Bottom (largely abstract), or Worm Derby (different). For a good road racing game, look into Racepack.  A clever game that includes a memory element is King's Cottage. Another fun 3-4 player game is IceFloe, but it's essential to have a really large lit candle to really get into the spirit of the game in my opinion. If you like solitaire games, I think the best ones are, One Man: Thrag!, Piece Packing Pirates, Cardinal's Guards, and Black Pawn trucking. If you like math-based games, Mathrix has been quite popular over the past year.

  Let us know what you  end up trying and enjoying (or not).

  -Mike