Re: [piecepack] Re: Tried Out Tarrifs

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Porter235
  To: piecepack@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Friday, November 11, 2005 11:26 AM
  Subject: Re: [piecepack] Re: Tried Out Tarrifs

  >Hidden hands. I honestly can't remember what my original intentions were. I
  >assume like most of you I meant for them to be hidden.

  I think hidden hands is the way to go.

  >Value of Trade. Now that I look at the game and what others have said, I
  >concur, trading will probably be removed as an option all together for
  >streamlining.

  I think it makes sense to get rid of the player-to-player trade option, but trading with the bone yard is something I definitely found to be a valuable option on some turns.

  >Additional comment... I am thinking, with the removal of trade, it might be
  >even more interesting to decrease hand size to 1. Now you have no choice as
  >to what domino to play. (though you still could rotate and not play this one
  >now) This doesn't really reduce your options as you can play larger pips so
  >that they end up on opponents paths... thoughts?

  I respectfully disagree. This does reduce options. The fact that in many (but not all, and maybe not even in a majority of) cases the opponent is also affected similarly does not mean that the depth of the game is not reduced. Tarrifs is already a game with a goodly dose of chance, and adding more will make it a more light-weight game. As I mentioned above, I'm not convinced that completely eliminating trading would improve the game but, if you decide to go that route, I suggest that you consider the option of INCREASING the number of dominoes each player has to 3, since this will increase the scope for skill to triumph

  >Thanks again to all. I look forward to getting a chance to clean these up...
  >(though I have a 2 year old at home and am expecting our second child to
  >arrive in the next 3 weeks)

  Ah! I understand. Either finish it up in the next week or leave it for at least two months :-)  Whatever, don't feel bad; I still haven't gotten around to changing the rules for Stations (but I will, promise!).

  >JCD

  >PS
  >I may still enter it in a competition, if there is another competition, and
  >rules remain like they have in the past, which seem to not have a problem
  >with games that have already been seen in public being entered.

  Actually, this could be made into a non-piecepack game quite easily. However if you decide to persue this course, I suggest you come up with a theme removed from that of Transamerica (there are lots of possibilities).

  -Mike