Re: [piecepack] ANNOUNCING THE 7th PIECEPACK GAME DESIGN COMPETITION: Good Portsmanship

On 9/4/06, Jorge Arroyo Gonzalez <trozo@...> wrote:
Nice! :)

Thanks.

   Incidentally, I recently made a list at BoardGameGeek about this
subject. It has all the existing piecepack games I was able to
identify as being "ports" from existing commercial games (some were
identified as such by the authors, but some were not), also games
heavily influenced by existing games and also some obvious
suggestions for other games that would be very easy to play with a
piecepack set. The games in this last group are so easy to play with
a piecepack set that I don't think they would make good candidates
for this contest... Here's the link:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listid=15415

This is a great list, and truthfully, it was probably an important
influence on me while I was searching for a theme for the contest, but
in retrospect it's a little hard to be completely sure. I know I read
your list around that time, but it doesn't appear in my notes. Anyway,
great stuff!

  Well, I like the theme of the contest. I think it leaves a lot of
room to the authors to translate an existing game into a good
piecepack game, which is not so easy...

Leaving enough room is one of the main ideas of the contest, so I'm
glad it seems that way to you.

Again, I recommend _Le Ton Beau de Marot_ by Douglas Hofstadter, in
which Hofstadter and friends translate the same medieval French poem
into English (and other languages) hundreds of different ways. Talk
about elbow room...

   Ron Hale-Evans ... rwhe@... ... http://ron.ludism.org/
Mind Performance Hacks book: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mindperfhks/
	   Center for Ludic Synergy: http://www.ludism.org/
(revilous life proving aye the death of ronaldses when winpower wine has
		   bucked the kick on poor won man)