Re: Material advice needed...

-

-- In piecepack@yahoogroups.com, mark.a.biggar@... wrote:

> My wiki page:
>
> http://www.ludism.org/ppwiki/Mark_20A_2e_20Biggar
>
> has a complete description.

Hi, I'm a newbie to the list.  I've also been researching materials
for home-made piecepack sets.

First, here is a good geeklist with lots of info about DIY game
projects that could be helpful here.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/11286

The good quality cardboard you are looking for is called chipboard.  I
got a sheet of double-thickness (~3mm?...comparable thickness to what
you get with german-style ala Carc, Goa, etc.) for about $5.50  A
sheet is similar to large-sized posterboard so it is way more than
what you need for a single piecepack set.  You can use the left over
for some other PNP games. :)  Be aware that working with the chipboard
takes some work.  It takes me about 10 passes with a razor blade to
cut all the way through.  Plus, you need a special tool, called a
hollow hole punch (check ebay), and a mallet to get a round cut for
the discs.  Precut wood is looking really inviting.  I've been making
a "quick-n-dirty" copy with inkjet printed office paper, spray
adhesive, and chipboard while I've waited for my mesomorph copy to
arrive in the mail.  Probably the most labor intensive process
possible!  Mesomorph arrived yesterday.

I really like the wood and the way the pawns sound on the tiles.  But
I think I'd also like something more stylistically congruous with
icehouse pieces. Mark's looks great.  I also like the photo of the
alien city game at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/155202.  I'm
curious to know if that set uses the same materials as Mark's.

Has anyone tried using acrylic paints on plexiglass (also acrylic)?
It would seem to allow a nice smooth finish but I know nothing about
how well the paint adheres to the tile.

If applying stickers, do folks prefer opaque or tranparent sheets for
the printing?

Thanks for any input!

-gt