Re: Piecepacks from Blue Panther?

Hi:

This is Steve Jones (Blue Panther LLC) and the recent posts are, of
course, of interest to us.   First, let's answer a few questions...

1) Yup, we're looking at publishing the JCD piecepack - it's a good
match for our equipment.   We'll be making some pieces and I'll post
them here or on www.bluepantherllc.com shortly.

2) With a laser, we can engrave birch, hardwood, plywood, plastic and
a variety of materials.   Most likely, the piecepack would be birch
with a polyurethane surface coat.   Plastic can be done -
transparent, transluscent or solid (like engraver's plastic), but it
is significantly more expensive raw material, so the final price of a
piecepack would probably not get alot of takers...  It might be the
kind of thing we would make for a contest, though.

3) The IEHK laser is indeed cheap.  We looked at it, but the vendor
would not give us a list of contacts in the US to ask about how the
product worked for them.  Also, note that it is WATER cooled, and you
supply the water - it is not a closed system.  There were also some
file format, printer driver concerns.  It might be a great system,
and I might take a chance on it for a hobby tool, but I wouldn't buy
it for a business.

4) A little bit of market research.   If you've visited our site, you
would see that our games come in wood boxes.  The question I would
ask of this group is whether you would prefer the pieces in small
wood boxes (say 6"x2.5"x"2.5") or in drawstring bags?   A wood box is
slightly more expensive, but not by much.

5) We have a game of our own called Cubed, which is rock paper
scissors in 3D with dice.  There are 24 dice in 4 colors, along with
a wooden 5x5 board and the rules to 3 different, but related games.
Right now it is a BP product, but it might be the kind of to release
into the public domain, similar to Piecepack - what do you think of
the idea?

SJ

Steve Jones
Blue Panther