Re: [piecepack] Re: A new game: DungeonBuilders

On 2/23/07, sipig <sperry@...> wrote:

> Hi Jorge, thanks again for replying so quickly.
>
> Let me see if I understand your answer to point 1.

Yes. I think that's what I mean

Not sure you understood my point in #2. When I first started laying
> out the dungeon I ended up with something like entrance/0/1/0/1/0, but
> with the other 1 and the twos "buried" inside the disconnected set
> (because of the way the tiles came up, I never got the chance to
> connect the 2s to the entrance, similarly for the other 1). This meant
> that there were no tiles left that could connect the entrance to the
> disconnected set (which had all the coins on it). Yes, if someone then
> powers up to 5 he would enter a very small dungeon and get, say, 1
> gold. But this seems such a waste of the set-up phase. I think a rule
> is needed (not sure what it would say yet - will have to think about
> it) that would enable/force the two parts to be connected.

I now see what you mean. This has never happened when I've played the game.
I guess something should be done. Maybe a rule that lets you rearrange the
tiles inside each set if there is no way to connect them and there are no
tiles left... I don't have my piecepack set (i'm at work) but I'll try to
come up with something tonight...

Point 3 I understood and is what I expected (but see point 2...)

> Overall I like the idea of the game, although with two people the
> set-up phase seems very long in comparison with the "exploration"
> phase, particularly if you are powered up to five and find a magic
> sword early on.

The basic idea for the game was like that mostly on purpose, as I was
thinking about the flash game I mentioned. The exploring part, if too long,
can become boring for the other players... The "meat" of the game is
supposed to be in the dynamics between players when creating the dungeon and
deciding who enters...

Other things that I would like to add to the dungeon, but again would
> need to think about, would be traps. Would need somehow to mark a tile
> as being trapped (perhaps each player is allowed to simply write down
> which tiles are trapped, but I would prefer somehow to use game
> components). A trap could do perhaps a single point of damage whenever
> triggered.
>
> Hope that these comments help!

Thanks. Maybe you could place a gold coin token on the board to make it a
trap. But I think there should be a mechanic to be able to avoid them. The
thing is, the game's combat system is quite abstract already, and the way
monsters work, you could also call them traps if you want...

-Jorge