Re: Piecepack pyramid dimensions

--- In piecepack@yahoogroups.com, Edward S Rustin <ed@...> wrote:

> Why not just buy a set of icehouse pyramids then?

Because a piecepack pyramid set contains six pyramids per suit, while Looney Pyramids are only available in three sizes?

As for the acrylic front, this might be a bit too infeasible, after talking to people who know their materials science.  The cardstock pyramids that I use as a reference (available from this very fine Files section has it that each pyramid is only 1/16" larger in base compared to the one size below (except for F, which is slightly larger than the 3/4" base for E).  The thinnest acrylic that I can get from the plastic store is 1/16", which would mean that (since I have to apply a label with my own pyramid design on them) the pyramids will not fit into one another (a key piecepack pyramid requirement).  Furthermore, I learned that 1/16" acrylic is incredibly brittle (the rest of my piecepack is made from clear acrylic), so it doesn't fill me with confidence when I need 288 triangular pieces (for 12 suits) cut.

I discovered a place that might help in 3D-printing a set of piecepack pyramids, but again, from what I understand of this technology, the material would still be fairly brittle at something like 3/64" thick (to allow the pyramids some wiggle room to fit inside one another) - presumably that's the reason why the reference pyramids recommend printing on cardstock in the first place.

BTW, a Looney Pyramid is considerably thicker than 1/16".