Glass Bead Game playable variants
"GlassBeadGame PlayableVariant" is Charles_Cameron?'s term for an attempt to realise the GlassBeadGame in the real world in a playable way. One might think of a playable variant as "a glass bead game" (or gbg) rather than "the Glass Bead Game" (or GBG, which depending on viewpoint is either a fictional construct from TheNovel or an unattainable ideal or both).
Here are some PlayableVariants accessible on the Internet:
- The Bead Game: The reincarnation of of glassbeadgame.net
- DigitalBeadGame: A recent, computer-mediated playable variant.
- GlassPlateGame: One of the earliest known playable variants, designed by Dunbar Aitkens -- "a conversation in the trappings of a board game".
- HipBone: Charles_Cameron?'s HipBone Games are probably the most popular gbg on the Internet.
- Intrachange: A gbg by William_Horden? based on correspondences between the 64 hexagrams of the I Ching and the 64 squares of a chessboard.
- Kennexions: designed by Ron_Hale-Evans?, Kennexions is based on the Norse poetic form called the Kenning?, among other things.
- LudusSollemnis: A gbg by Terence_MacNamee? based on liturgical drama.
- Toward the Glass Bead Game: Fascinating gbg by Joshua_Fost? that uses XML and the SemanticWeb? (also an ambition of Kennexions).
- Vicus Lusorum: A wiki-formatted gbg and collaborative story engine which uses Everything2 as a model and the entire Internet as sources for game beads.
- WaldzellGbg: The Waldzell GlassBeadGame, designed by Mark_Line?, takes an analytical approach.
- Genesis-World-Game, a GBG incarnating Buckminster Fuller, Hermann Hesse, and divinely channeled from Ludvig Wittgenstein.
See also BambooGarden for Seattle's original gbg design community.