Re: Directional Pawns?

Hi,

I am still in favor of directional pawns.  I know that they won't be
used for a lot of games, but that same arguement could be
made for just about every element of the piecepack.

I would like to propose 2 additions to the current pieceoack
specification for pawns.

1.  The pawn should have a directional indicator to  clearly
indicate the facing of the pawn to an angular resolution of 45
degrees ( = 8 distinct facings).
2.  Each pawn should have 2 distinct states: Upright & Inverted.

Point 1 is nothing new.
Point 2, however, is a new idea.

There are many ways to implement such a pawn
1. As regular polyhedral prism with a notch or mark on the
directional side located 1/4 to 1/3 along the hieght of the pawn.
Flipping the pawn the mark indicates whether the pawn is
Inverted or Upright.
2. A a regular polyhedral prism with one end painted white to
indicate the Upright/Inverted state.
3. Pawns that can't be physically inverted can be given a
hat/ring/flag to wear to indicate the Inverted state.

Why do I want the Upright/Inverted binary state addition?
1.  Its easy to add to the piecpack, as shown above it can be
done without increasing the piece count.
2.  The Inverted state is very handy to indicate metaphors in
game mechanics like:
- Who has the "ball".
- Damage.
- Promotion
- Voting Yes or No.
- Any binary state!
I already have a game drafted where I would like to be able to
have both the directional capability and 2-state switch ability on
piecepack pawns.    In the game the pawns represent the
player's mothership (coins are fighters).  The direction ability
would allow me to make the mother ship less manuverable than
the fighters (logical) and the inverted state would allow the
mothership to be damaged once before it is destroyed (adds
depth).  I think the game would be much improved with these
mechanisms added.
This is just one example.

As for people who have already purchased piecepacks.  It
doesn't matter much.  Now is the best time to update the
specification, before mass distribution begins.  People owning
older piecepacks simply can't play a very small subset of the
newest games until they upgrade.  No big deal.

The REAL danger is that if the piecepack specification is not
allowed to change in this early formative time to add these rather
abilities to the piecepack, then I fear that companies that
produce the piecepack may add these additional mechanisms
themselves in different ways and create grossly divergent
piecepacks that are conformant to the base spec but
incompatible each others additional mechanisms.  I would like
to see the most obvious and useful additions to the specification
be worked out now and get released into the public domain
spec.

In summary I would like to push for a change to the specification
that the pawns be made directional and Invertable (i.e., have 2
distinct states).

Regards,
Rob Mundschau