Re: [piecepack] Re: Definition of flicking in glossary

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 11:21:13PM -0700, Mark Biggar wrote:
> Ron Hale-Evans wrote:
> > I've cleaned up some typos and redundancies.  How's this?
> >
> > flick
> >
> > v. to propel a game piece (such as a piecepack coin) across the
> > playing area with a single finger.  A flick is not a sustained push,
> > but a sudden snap.  A proper flick is performed by resting a single
> > fingertip on the playing surface with the fingernail against the game
> > piece, then either (1) straightening the finger with the hand held
> > motionless, or (2) straightening the whole hand at the wrist with the
> > arm held motionless.
> >
> > flicking game
> >
> > n. a game where the principal method of moving pieces is to flick them.
>
> Yeah that's better.

Thanks.  Marty is really the editor around these parts (does it for a
living), but I've gotten better at it lately by working on other
people's game rules.

> > Also, Marty and I noticed James made two salient points that are not
> > in the definition:
> >
> > 1. "Probably should be more of a push than a strike."
>
> Isn't that implied by be stating that the fingernail starts touching
> the piece?

Well, probably, but it's undermined by the language, "A flick is not a
sustained push, but a sudden snap."  Perhaps something like this?

  While a flick is more of a push than a strike, it is not a sustained
  motion, but a sudden one.

> > 2. "My only conviction is that the thumb should not restrain and then
> > release the finger... it should merely be the motion of a single
> > finger with no other digits involved."
>
> That is hard to do while also placing the fingertip on the table. :-)

Not for me.  I even managed to keep my index finger in contact with
the coin at the same time.  Of course, YMMV; I have rather long,
somewhat thin fingers.

More comments requested...

         Ron Hale-Evans ... rwhe@... & rwhe@...
           Center for Ludic Synergy, Seattle Cosmic Game Night,
Kennexions Glass Bead Game &  Positive Revolution FAQ: http://www.ludism.org/