Re: [piecepack] Design Contest Winner Announcement

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 09:29:38AM -0800, Michael Schoessow wrote:
> The winner of the Third Piecepack Game Design Competition is,....
>
>                NEW CITY  by Rob LeGood
>
> Congratulations Rob!
>

> Runner up was ICEFLOE by Tim Schutz, and the game that most elegantly fit
> the Changing Landscapes theme was clearly SAN ANDREAS by James Kyle.

Congratulations to Rob, Tim. and James!  Great going!  Rob, what's the theme
of the next contest? :-)

It sounds as though the bar has been raised for piecepack game design.
That is good for everyone, players and designers alike!  Our game,
Easy Slider, was a mere slip of a thing, hardly calculated to compete
with such obviously meaty fare as New City.  Still, we were hoping for
an honorable mention... perhaps just a kind word from a stranger... a
crumb... <sob> (I would like to thank Tim for his acknowledging the
fix I contributed to IceFloe; My ego is salvaged somewhat by feeling
that I have contributed to one of the winners just a little bit.)

> Choosing the winner was not too difficult and all the play-testers
> who tried New City agreed that it should probably win.

So it sounds as though New City was the "stand-out winner" of this contest,
just as Alien City was of the previous one.  I am eager to play it.

> One game was strictly 2-player, while the others were variously
> either 2-4, 3-4 or 4-player.

Um, Mike?  Easy Slider's instructions say that it can be played with
any number of players, from solitaire up through 10 or more.  That is
the point of its BYOP (Bring Your Own Piecepack) mechanism.  We have
tried it with at least 6 or 7.

> I will be contacting Rob concerning the prize etc.,

FYI, Mike, the Trophy Cloth went out this morning and is winging its way
to you via Priority Mail as I write this.  Because it was such a drama to
produce and because it is presumably valuable to the piecepack community,
I insured it heavily, something I recommend to anyone else who has to pass
it on. $300 of insurance only cost about $4.

> and if any other of the game authors are interested in the
> play-testers' opinions and comments about their games, feel free to
> e-mail me privately (mschoessow@...).

I would be interested in your opinions and those of the other
playtesters about Easy Slider, critiqued either publicly on the list,
or privately, as you see fit.

> The rules for all sixteen games are posted at the piecepack.org
> site.

I looked, but I didn't see them.

Thanks again to Mike for running a great contest, thanks again to
Karol for all her hard work, thanks to the playtesters, and
congratulations again to Rob, Tim, and James!

In piece,

Ron H-E

--
       Ron Hale-Evans ... rwhe@... & rwhe@...
	 Center for Ludic Synergy, Seattle Cosmic Game Night,