Re: Games on demand

--- In piecepack@yahoogroups.com, "Brett Paul" <brettp@e...> wrote:
> > There is nothing in the piecepack design that prohibits one using
> > board with it.  Bear in mind, though, that the piecepack
philosophy
> > is to be a "portable" system - having to carry boards around
might be
> > an extra hassle.
>
> As an on-demand board game approach, this would really be a
different philosophy. I wasn't looking to expand the piecepack idea.

> What you have is an inventory of pieces such as wooden cubes,
cylinders, different pawn shapes, etc. The game designer would have
to pay for setup of his board artwork and box artwork, and define
which pieces are to be included in the game and in what colors.

> The organization that turns this into a real game (I'll call it
the "service") would take this inventory and artwork and determine
the on-demand price of the game, allowing for all costs plus some
profit for the service as well as the designer in some equitable
ratio. Then, the designer could link directly to the service from the
web or through a game catalog or whatever, and people would be able
to order games from the service. When a game is ordered, a game board
and box are printed and prepared, the appropriate components from the
inventory are included, and the game is shipped. Voila! On-demand
board games.

Hmm.  Nothing wrong with this idea - but, like all ideas, needs some
courage and initiative to make it work "in the real world".  Its
somewhat similar to the approach adopted by Cheapass Games - except
they let *you* provide the bits&pieces and avoid the costs of boxes
and fancy cover art.  I guess this would slot somewhere between CaG
and the 'normal' method of games production.  Just remember you will
have some fixed costs in this process, and the cost of 'low volume'
printing (depending on level of sophistication used) can be quite
high. Cost recovery will be an issue for someone...