Re: 5th piecepack competition + more questions

---> And then if it does suit the piecepack to a "T", you wont get
voted
> simply because you followed the rules. Ignore what the Piecepack
is
> alltogether, and copy another game that is difficult and german.
> Then you will win. To all Newbies, Dont follow the Rules outlined
in
> the Comp. It is the surest way to loose. Open your game closet
close
> your eyes and pick two games at random, and FORCE the piecepack to
> become that game.
>
> And if this is not what happened in the last comp. Please let me
> know.

The fact is that many of the great games designed each year (and I'm
not talking about just piecepack games) borrow from earlier games,
sometimes in very obvious ways. This is well understood and
appreciated by the great majority of board game enthusiasts, and has
resulted in some of our most well-liked games (such as Puerto Rico
for example). Game mechanics are frequently quite delicate and
balanced, especially in the great games, and it often takes
considerable play-testing to achieve this. Because of this, a modest
change in the basic mechanic of game, along with an inventive
innovation or two can lead to a completely new game, with its own
unique strategy and charm. If this can be successfully achieved by
utilizing most or all of the unique complement of bits that is a
piecepack, then why shouldn't such a game be a strong contender or
winner in a piecepack design contest?

All dedicated game designers believe that their games are good
games, worthy of praise by other game players. Otherwise why show
them around? But everyone has their own tastes, their own
expectations, and will make their own judgement on a game, almost
always, I suspect, ultimately based on how much satisfaction or fun
the game brings them. Certainly that's how it works with me. Some of
my own games have been well received by other gamers, but more often
not. Not too long ago I entered what I felt was a pretty darn good
game in the Abstract Games Magazine contest for simultaneous
movement abstract strategy games but, no win, no second place, no
honorable mention as one of the other six or eight games they
described after the contest. I was disappointed. But that's OK. Time
to move on.

Eric, it's time to move on. Put your energies into your next games.

-Mike Schoessow