Re: The Stack-and reasons why I cant Shut up

It seems that a good deal of the questions and issues you are working
through, Eric, have to do with how to communicate not only your
game's rules, but how to work with the piecepack as well.

When I write game rules, especially those for piecepack games, I
assume a couple of things about the people who will be reading them
later on in order to player the game:  They willingly chose to
attempt playing the game, which probably means they have experience
playing some type of games in the past.  However, they may not have
experience with the piecepack (or whatever set of components the game
uses), nor with the genre the game fits in.  They are most likely
able to read and comprehend English at a junior high level, or
otherwise have somewhere to go for help if needed.

With those things said, I usually just spell out what I think the
player needs to know in as simple and short of phrases as possible,
while avoiding shorthand most of the time.  If a term is specific to
gaming, or to the genre -- take "orthogonal" for example -- I usually
make a point of clearly defining it early in the rules, then continue
using it later on.

With the piecepack, specifically, I assume that most people -- even
those with no piecepack experience -- will be able to tell what I
mean when I use the terms "tile", "coin", "dice" or "pawn".  And when
I mention the various values and suit names.  Since there are really
very few different types of components in the piecepack, I would go
ahead and write out exactly what I need the player to do.  For
example: "Each player picks a suit, and gets all tiles, coins, the
die, and the pawn marked for that suit."  or "Separate out the Moon
coins, shuffle them suit-side-up, and organize them into a stack."

I believe most people -- piecepackers or not, gamers or not -- should
be able to "get the jest" of what I'm after in the rules.

Hope that helps,
-Bryk

--- In piecepack@yahoogroups.com, "Electronicwaffle"