Re: Rules on my PalmOS handheld

Maybe this is my cue to step and put forward an idea I have working
on for a while now (but was waiting for the "right" moment to unlease
on the unsuspecting piecepack community).

In the work that I am doing, I have started to see the tremendous
benefits offered by XML as an information storage format. For some
time I have been pondering how it can be more widely used in my
favourite hobby.  Just recently, I became involved with Joao Neto in
the creation of an XML file format for his abstract games site
(http://www.di.fc.ul.pt/~jpn/gv/).

What I would like to propose is that the community adopts an existing
XML file format for documentation of the piecepack rules.  XML would
give us the flexibility to easily publish to PDF, HTML and other
formats of choice.   It would also allow the creation of
a 'standardised' look-and-feel for the rule sets, thereby creating a
better image for the system.  The specific XML format I would like to
propose is DocBook; perhaps with the addition of a few tags for
encapsulating some of the meta-data for a game, along with some
guidelines for rules structuring.  DocBook, while a large spec, is
widely used and many editors are now able to work directly with it.
In the longer run, it would also be ideal to convert the game
diagrams to a format such as SVG - an open graphics standard that is
very powerful.

The main issues are:
1. permission from rules' authors for the conversion process
2. time required to do the conversion itself; this is mostly copy-and-
paste for the text (hint: this would be something I could start
tackling over the summer [southern hemisphere!] holidays)

Thoughts?  Comments?

Thanks
Derek