Re: [piecepack] Re: New piecepack components? Dice cards and paper dice

On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 04:26:23AM -0000, Electronicwaffle wrote:
> This all seems to be re-inventing the wheel, if you ask me. There
> are already games that use more than one piecepack in a game. This
> Dice deck seems to be just the value side of the tile.

Yes, Eric, I already acknowledged that you could use coins or tiles
instead of a _small_ deck of piecepack dice cards in the same post in
which I proposed them.  Here is what I wrote:

>> Of course, if you are not already using either tiles or coins in
>> your game design, you could simulate a single suit of six die rolls
>> with either the tiles or the coins, so in a sense this is nothing
>> new for the piecepack (can anyone name a game that already does
>> this?).  It would be somewhat new and useful to have a suit of 24
>> cards, though, and of course we could make it _feel_ new by
>> printing the suit and value information on a little cube on the
>> card that looks like a die. :)

> If such a
> system is needed, Im sure a score card or use of another Piecepack
> would suffice.

A score card?  Yoi mean like the piecepack paper dice I proposed in
the same message? :)

>> Suns
>> N A 2 3 4 5
>> N A 2 3 4 5
>> N A 2 3 4 5
>> N A 2 3 4 5

etc.

As for another piecepack, to get the full 24-cards-per-suit deck
I am proposing, you would need *four* extra *matching* piecepacks.
I don't know anyone who owns this many piecepacks.

> At the very least, modify a standard card deck,

Ugly.

> or regular dice, as they would be more common,

You don't seem to "get" the basic idea, which is to make dice rolls
more fair by substituting cards.  You can't do that with dice, by
definition.

> I beleive the piecepack needs to remain the 60 odd pieces it is
> now...  For me it adds to the entire piecepack experience.

Too late. We already have piecepack pyramids, pawn saucers, the Four
Seasons and Playing Cards expansions, not to mention all the other
things people have melded with the piecepack, such as dominoes, Go
sets, Icehouse, playing cards, cats living with dogs, etc.

Fortunately, none of these extras detract from the simplicity of the
standard piecepack.

    Ron Hale-Evans ... rwhe@... ... http://ron.ludism.org/
	 Center for Ludic Synergy, Seattle Cosmic Game Night,
Kennexions Glass Bead Game & Positive Revolution FAQ: http://www.ludism.org/