Re: Game idea for some else to develop

--- In piecepack@yahoogroups.com, Porter235 <porter235@y...> wrote:
> On Thursday 19 August 2004 3:44 pm, Electronicwaffle wrote:
> > I might be on thin ice here, but if we can reduce games that are so
> > similar to each other as to reproduce most of the same aspects then
> > we should work to weed it out. Rule Book legnth is an issue for
> > other members.

FWIW, and to put this question in a slightly larger perspective, the
earliest phases of any creative process, especially one as
purposefully open-ended and open-source as piecepack, should, IMHO, be
as freewheeling and imaginative as possible. Redaction is for much
further down the road. The reason there are, for example, so many good
card games involving the use of "trump" and the taking of "tricks" is
because so many variations and rulesets have evolved, been Hoyled,
been taught around campfires, been argued about, etc.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who likens the spirit of piecepack to
open-source culture like Linux, the new variations on copyright like
Creative Commons, etc. It seems to me the question of rule book length
might be of concern to piecepack vendors like Mesomorph, and perhaps
those who at this point want an easy port of entry as consumers, but
it's essential that it not mean a thing to active game designers.

I've never met a kid who decided not to clothespin playing cards
against his bicycle spokes because there were just too many hundreds
of other uses for the cards!