Re: New Game: Cell Management - Playtesting Needed

Hi Mark,
I'm enjoying your game very much, and I've played it four or five
times so far. The game itself seems very polished, but understanding
the rules was a struggle. The setup section is fine, and the two
example rounds at the end are helpful. However, I think the
description of each step should have an example to illustrate it.
I recommend you add a diagram after the first paragraph of the Rules
section that shows a game in progress. If possible try to include in
the diagram an example of each possible scenario (e.g., friend in
adjacent hideout, enemy in adjacent hideout, empty friendly hideout,
etc.). Then after describing each step, give a specific example from
the diagram like this:
As the guard enters the 2 of Moons tile, a 2 coin attempts an escape
because the 4 of Crowns tile next to it is hostile and empty. The 2
coin runs to its hideout on the 2 of Crowns tile.

For those who haven't tried the game yet, this next paragraph contains
mild spoilers. Read at your own risk.
As for the game play itself, my first impression was that it seemed
like Towers of Hanoi ( http://www.mazeworks.com/hanoi/ ) with several
distractions thrown in. I expected that I would be able to come up
with a general solution and stop playing. I am pleased to report that
after a couple of hours of playing, I've made progress, but I haven't
found a general solution. Even if it is generally solvable, finding
the solution is an interesting exercise.

All in all, it's an impressive contribution.

Don

--- In piecepack@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <richm@c...> wrote:

> Hello,

[snip]

> I've written up the rules in on the web at
>
>    http:&#92;&#92;games.goadrich.com&#92;cell
>
> and am currently looking for playtesters, I'd be happy to hear if you
> have any suggestions or questions about the rules, thanks.  If this
> isn't the standard protocol for recruiting playtesters, and posting
> games under contruction, please let me know,
>
> Mark Goadrich
[snip]