Re: [piecepack] Re: Games with adult themes

On Apr 16, 2005, at 5:22 AM, Leo M. Lalande wrote:

I for one am not offended by adult-themed material; but I do
understand and respect the fact that some people are offended by such.

To some extent, I would agree: however, one could make an argument that the "rest of the First World" generally doesn't share our puritanical views towards sex in the US, and would be sitting there scratching their heads that we're making an issue out of a couple mildly sexually-themed games. Comic Sutra seems no worse than Twister on the face of it, and certainly no worse than many of the adult party games sold on the shelf at places like Barnes and Noble. (Advice: don't play Pictionary with freaks)

Also, like Mike and Ron, what gets included in MG's commercial
products is purely their decision. Under the pretense that MG is
working to expand the piecepack's exposure and market, I would support
their decision to exclude adult-themed games from their pp CDs.

I would even support a decision by them to exclude games that just don't "play well" or have problematic instructions (note that at the moment, I don't have any concrete examples of same). Anything that makes Piecepack more "accessible" by more people is a Good Thing, not only for Mesomorph's business, but for our community at large.

Of course, this also brings up the subject of other 'potentially
offensive' themes/subjects.  What happens if someone created and
posted a game with a racist theme, or some anti-religion based theme?
 While I don't believe it has happened yet, as the piecepack community
grows, it could very easily happen.

This is the crux of the problem, really. As Piecepack grows, there are going to be games that people are going to write that will definitely offend, and in far worse ways than a little sexual innuendo. Where are we going to draw the line?

Obviously, anything that encourages any illegal activity should be right out. For my vote, anything that encourages violence or hate towards others should be scrutinized. Sexuality should probably remain right at the threshold of innuendo, and perhaps Comic Sutra could use a little touch-up to make it more.. um.. *nudge nudge* in tone. Actually, it probably would improve the read of the rules. If the author would like some help on working with that, I'd be happy to volunteer some time.. in a short time, it's become kind-of a popular game around here.

In short, I think the general guiding principle should be: if you think a major retailer like Barnes and Noble (or even Spencer Gifts) would have problems putting it on the shelf, it likely will be an "issue."

I do have faith in the moderators of the group to exercise their discretion. Additionally, should there be a demand for "offensive" Piecepack games, somebody will certainly create a website for it, and that should solve the problem ("unofficial" rulesets).

My 2 cents on the matter.

Mine's only worth 2/3rds that.