Re: [piecepack] Re: piecepack Workshop: Cell Management v0.6 by Mark Goadrich

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Clark D. Rodeffer
  To: piecepack@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 9:37 AM
  Subject: [piecepack] Re: piecepack Workshop: Cell Management v0.6 by Mark Goadrich

  >I read the Cell Management 0.7 rules, and compared to the 0.6 rules
  >they were *much* easier to grasp. Where before, I was constantly
  >reviewing, this time through seemed more clear. The diagrams are also
  >much better, and I especially like the full circuit diagram with each
  >move shown. Great job on the update!

  I agree that the new version rules are improved over version 0.6 because of the full-circuit diagram. Before this I was a bit confused regarding each species' specific hide-out.

  I like the visual effect of the radial tile display (and visual attractiveness is very important in a game!)
  .
  .
  .
  .
  .

  >Suggestions? Only very, very minor ones, really. Cell Management looks
  >great as it is! You might want to consider a scoring system (instead
  >of "speed") to help players rate their performances in head-to-head
  >contests -- maybe the number of circuits the guards make? Solo players
  >could keep records for their personal bests as well.

  >Clark

  For a two player version you may want to consider letting one player take the part of the guards. I realize that this means the game is assymetrical and will require additional design thought plus probably additional play options for the guards player. I also appreciate that assymetrical games in particular require much play-testing to insure balance. However sometimes this problem can be addressed by allowing a position swap by the nominally weaker starting position player after one to three moves. This scheme has been used successfully in a number of abstract assymetrical games to enforce effective symmetry throughout the game. At any rate, to be brutally honest----that's what good critics should be, right?----the present 2-player option is, I feel, unlikely to interest many players because of the complete lack of player interaction. Having said that, I don't feel that designers of solitaire games should feel any obligation to include a 2-player option unless it naturally fits; there's nothing wrong with a pure solitaire game. I've authored or co-authored two piecepack solitaires myself as well as half a dozen various non-piecepack solitaire games and none of them include a non-solitaire variant.

  I haven't tried playing Cell Management yet but I will in the next day or two or three and then I'll report back my impressions. From reading the rules it looks quite interesting and I'm eager to try it!

  -Mike

        Board games  Classic board game  Game board game