Re: [piecepack] Re: Help requested with Piecepack Wiki cleanup effort

On Wed, Mar 10, Ron Hale-Evans wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> By experimenting, I've figured out how to fix many broken links at
> once with a single procedure, and improve the quality of the wiki in
> other ways as well. Let me explain, using Mark Biggar's page as an
> example.
>
> ["Mark A. Biggar"]
>
> That's how his name occurs almost everywhere on the wiki, and on the
> old wiki, it pointed to a page with this name:
>
> Mark_20A_2e_20Biggar
>
> Notice how messy and unreadable this is. The old wiki encoded space
> characters as "_20" and periods or dots as "_2e". The equivalent page
> on the new wiki has this name:
>
> Mark_A._Biggar
>
> What I did was click on the red question mark to create and edit the
> new page (Mark_A._Biggar), cut the content from Mark's old page
> (Mark_20A_2e_20Biggar), paste it into his new page, and add the
> following text to the top of his old page, which was now empty:
>
> #REDIRECT [[Mark_A._Biggar]]
>
> Please, go ye and do likewise. I will be.

I've been looking at the /TextVersion links, which are similarly broken.
Unfortunately, the above fix doesn't seem to work, because Oddmuse is
doing nasty stuff to pages with slashes in their names.  Fortunately,
only a few other pages use the subdirectories, most of them from
http://www.ludism.org/ppwiki/Fuji-san

Meanwhile, should I start migrating the /TextVersion links to, for
example, GameNameTextVersion, with the slash stripped out?  That will
require a bit of effort, but fortunately not too much.  Even better,
though, might be GameNameRules.

I have also been experimenting with the offline editing capability
documented at http://www.oddmuse.org/cgi-bin/oddmuse/Large_Scale_Changes
Should I continue down that road, or does it cause problems?

- Eric