Re: [piecepack] Re: Help requested with Piecepack Wiki cleanup effort

Ron Hale-Evans wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 10:04 AM, Eric Wald <groups@...> wrote:
>> Meanwhile, should I start migrating the /TextVersion links to, for
>> example, GameNameTextVersion, with the slash stripped out?  That will
>> require a bit of effort, but fortunately not too much.  Even better,
>> though, might be GameNameRules.
>
> Eric, if you would do that, that would be splendid. Thank you. I
> prefer GameNameTextVersion, because it's consistent with the earlier
> page names, and also more descriptive -- after all, the PDF that a
> game's page links to is also a form of its rules, and usually a more
> complete one, since it may contain necessary graphics.

True, though I have been known to throw text-mode versions of graphics
onto those pages.  (Why I ever thought that anyone else would try to use
PiecePackWiki on a computer without graphics, the world may never know.)

>> I have also been experimenting with the offline editing capability
>> documented at http://www.oddmuse.org/cgi-bin/oddmuse/Large_Scale_Changes
>> Should I continue down that road, or does it cause problems?
>
> I used something similar to migrate from MoinMoin. It probably won't
> cause problems if you do it quickly and carefully. However, you will
> need to coordinate it with me, because I will have to temporarily turn
> off certain features of the wiki, such as the one that only lets you
> access (IIRC) 10 pages in 20 seconds (meant to discourage spambots). I
> will also want to back up the wiki before you run your scripts.

It seems easier on my end to let the scripts handle one every few
seconds, and abort on any page with a newer version than the one it
started with.  Fortunately, the uploads are treated just like standard
modifications, listed in the RecentChanges and everything.

On the other hand, backups are probably a good thing for other reasons,
as well.  I have one locally, of just the text for pages listed in the
index, in case you need it in the future.

> Thanks again.

Sorry for letting it slide for a few days, (for some reason it hasn't
quite received priority over paying work), but I've picked it up again.
It looks like exclamation points and colons are also getting stripped
out, but the other escaped characters are working fine.  Thank you for
processing Bid! and Triactor as examples.

- Eric