Re: [piecepack] Profitable sales of free-culture Piecepack (was: Sad ToyVault news)

 Well, we were able to poll some of the folks who know a good
piecepack game when they see one, and that's how we put together the
"Gamer's Dozen" book that we distribute with every retail copy of our
piecepacks.   But we did have to spend time wading through the
licensing differences and tracking down the copyright holders to
secure their permission  Considering that board games are a challenge,
we view any effort to grow the piecepack world as a good one - since
more exposure brings new people, ideas and game designs into the
community.
 Blue Panther LLC - Games, Accessories, Prototypes & Short Run Mfg
 Board Games Now LLC - the best indy board games
 On Tue 02/08/11 11:36 PM , Ben Finney
ben+yahoogroups@... sent:
	Emily Page  writes:
 > I am constantly in a state of disgusted surprise that this whole
 > system hasn't been properly profited from. :) So... the latest
failure
 > is just par for the rolling my eyes course.
 One thing which is needed is freely-licensed game rules. Currently
there
 are many game rules published, but very few of them under free
licenses.
 Free licenses entail that there are no restrictions on commercial
 redistribution http://freedomdefined.org/Licenses/NC [2]>. The
Creative
 Commons Non-Commercial clause makes a work non-free.
 Free licenses entail that any modification is allowed in any
 redistribution of the work. The FDL (despite its name) places
non-free
 restrictions on modification, and the No-Derivatives clause of the
 Creative Commons licenses also makes a work non-free.
 It's unfortunate that “Creative Commons” includes options for
making a
 work free, and also options for making a work non-free. The brand
isn't
 helpful for distinguishing the freedom of a work.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20101020/09352711499/creative-commons-branding-confusion.shtml
[3]>
 I recommend the CC-BY-SA-3.0 license as being a free-culture license
 that still provides the necessary protections for the work and the
 copyright holder.
 http://questioncopyright.org/cc-pro [4]>
     http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/ [5]>
 > I am still waiting for a fast food chain to make it a collectible
 > thing with their logo on the back.
 If there were a body of Piecepack game rules under free-culture
 licenses, that might be more possible: anyone could reformat them
and
 translate them and modify them and mass-produce them and profit from
 them, without needing further license negotiation.
 What I'd really love is for a large number of the popular existing
 Piecepack games to be released under a free-culture license like
 CC-BY-SA-3.0.
 What I hope for is that we encourage all future Piecepack games to
be
 released under free-culture licenses, without restriction on format
nor
 modification nor commercial redistribution.
 > But I think I'm a bit on the unusual side on the list here... :)
 I hope not.
 --
          “I don't accept the currently fashionable assertion that
any |

Links:
------
[1] mailto:emily.page@...
[2] http://freedomdefined.org/Licenses/NC
[3]
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20101020/09352711499/creative-commons-branding-confusion.shtml
[4] http://questioncopyright.org/cc-pro
[5] http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
[6]
mailto:ben+yahoogroups@....au?subject=Re:%20Profitable%20sales%20of%20free-culture%20Piecepack%20%28was:%20Sad%20ToyVault%20news%29
[7]
mailto:piecepack@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re:%20Profitable%20sales%20of%20free-culture%20Piecepack%20%28was:%20Sad%20ToyVault%20news%29
[8]
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/piecepack/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJwdXJqdG8xBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1MTEzODgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDUyODk2BG1zZ0lkAzM3MzYEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZQMxMzEyMzQ2MTg2?act=reply&messageNum=3736
[9]
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/piecepack/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJlbmc4OWY3BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1MTEzODgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDUyODk2BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTMxMjM0NjE4Ng--
[10]
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/piecepack/message/3736;_ylc=X3oDMTM0c3ZncGdlBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1MTEzODgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDUyODk2BG1zZ0lkAzM3MzYEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMzEyMzQ2MTg2BHRwY0lkAzM3MzY-
[11]
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/piecepack/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJmb3M0OW5lBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1MTEzODgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDUyODk2BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZtYnJzBHN0aW1lAzEzMTIzNDYxODY-?o=6
[12]
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/piecepack;_ylc=X3oDMTJlZmdhYWV0BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1MTEzODgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDUyODk2BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTMxMjM0NjE4Ng--