Re: [piecepack] Re: Definition of flicking in glossary

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 12:20:20PM -0700, Tim Schutz wrote:
> > > 2. "My only conviction is that the thumb should not restrain and then
> > > release the finger... it should merely be the motion of a single
> > > finger with no other digits involved."
> >
> I don't agree with this. When I think of a flick I think of it the
> way you would flick a person in the shoulder,on the the ear or
> something like that. You can't get much of a flick without doing it
> this way. However, when I play flicking game I tend not to use my
> thumb because I can get more control and I don't need that kind of
> power my thumb can give a flick, unless I am trying to flick my
> piece across the room. Most peolpe that I have watched playing
> flicking games play without using their thumb for the same reason,
> but I have seen some people use their thumb. And come to think of it
> I used to use my thumb when I played table top football with the
> folded-up paper triangle. You can't score a field goal if you
> don't. I thinks the rules should state that only one finger may
> touch the coin in a flick or something to that effect.

You may be right, Tim; IIRC, in the summary Mark gave of flicking
rules from various games, it suggested you get less control if you
cock your finger with your thumb, which is why most good players don't
do it.  But I don't think it said anywhere in the rules Mark compiled
that you _mustn't_ cock your finger with your thumb.

I'm trying to respect James's wishes, though.  Any thoughts, James?
(Or anyone else?)

         Ron Hale-Evans ... rwhe@... & rwhe@...
           Center for Ludic Synergy, Seattle Cosmic Game Night,
Kennexions Glass Bead Game &  Positive Revolution FAQ: http://www.ludism.org/