Re: [piecepack] Re: Giant piecepacks

I'm still not committed to making a giant piecepack for Penguicon, but
I'm really happy people are showing such interest.

So far, I like plywood best (for the tiles, at least). A 4'x8' piece
of plywood that you might buy at Home Depot can be cut up into
_exactly_ 3 x 6 = 18 piecepack tiles, or 3 suits. Someone remarked
that the store where you buy it will often cut it up for you for free
or a nominal charge.

Other advantages:

* Tiles look like wood because they _are_ wood
* Stackable
* Nice feel, unlike floppy cloth

Disadvantages:

* Somewhat fragile (edges may chip unless protected)
* Heavy! (consider shipping)

A Piecepack Letterbox board would be 9' square. Alien City would be
9'x6'. A game that used a 5x5 board with a hole in the middle would be
7.5' square. If you had to move a pawn on a board 9' square, the
farthest you would have to reach would be 4 1/2 feet, so maybe you
wouldn't need to walk on the tiles after all.

   Ron Hale-Evans ... rwhe@... ... http://ron.ludism.org/
Mind Performance Hacks book: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mindperfhks/
	   Center for Ludic Synergy: http://www.ludism.org/
(revilous life proving aye the death of ronaldses when winpower wine has
		   bucked the kick on poor won man)